Gloves are a must-have accessory for every sailor. If you’re new to sailing and think you can head out without gloves, think again! They make your sailing adventures comfortable by providing grip and protection. So how should sailing gloves fit?
A snug-fitting glove is good, but a glove that fits snugly without cutting off circulation is the one to go for. The gloves are too big if there’s too much space above each of your fingertips. There should be some room, but not too much room.
It’s important not just to get any pair of sailing gloves, but sailing gloves that fit perfectly for your hands. It does not need rocket science to find a pair that’s perfect for you. With the huge amount of brands and styles to choose from, you’re in a good place to find the best pair!
Gloves are likely to stretch! More so, if you wear them most of the time. Yet, there’s nothing more comfortable than a worn-in pair of gloves. Breaking in your new gloves will eventually fit your hand just the way you wanted them to be.
How Should Sailing Gloves Fit?
If you’re trying to determine how sailing gloves should fit, and perhaps it’s your first time to buy sailing gloves, trying them on is the smartest way to go about it. Every manufacturer’s style gives a different fit, and the best way to find out if they are right for you is to see how they feel on your hand.
Yet, your hectic lifestyle might be the damper to stop you from making it to a store to try on the gloves. We truly understand. That’s why we made it easier for you by providing you our top recommendations for sailing gloves that fit well.
Tip: One way to get the right size glove on your first try is to measure your hand. Here’s how to do it:
- Make a fist.
- Measure the widest point of your hand using a soft measuring tape. The widest width of your hand is located below the knuckle.
- Choose your dominant hand when measuring because it’s usually the bigger one.
Our Top 10 Picks of Sailing Gloves That Fit Just Right
When out on the ocean, having the right protective gear spells the difference between safety and danger. Gloves should always be part and parcel of the sailing gear, whether you are close to the coast or out in the middle of nowhere.
You will be able to function better when your hands are protected by sailing gloves that fit properly. Rope burn should not be a worry, and neither is sunburn when a great pair of snug gloves is protecting your hands.
Not all sailing gloves are alike. To help you find the best fitting pair, we’ve listed our top 10 favorite, well-fitting sailing gloves
- WindRider Full or ¾ Finger PRO Padded Palm Sailing Gloves – Click here to see it on Amazon – Our #1 Top Pick!
- MRX Fitness & Boxing ¾ Grip and Finger Sailing Gloves – Click here to see it on Amazon
- NeoSport Neoprene ¾ Finger Sailing Gloves
- MRX Fitness & Boxing Gripy & Sticky Palm Sailing Gloves
- Brace Master ¾ Finger Design Leather in Palm Sailing Gloves
- Dakine Half Finger Sailing Gloves
- Gill S/F PRO Black Sailing Glove
- Gill Short Finger Championship Sailing Gloves
- Zhik Grey/Black Sailing Glove
- Navis Short Finger Sailing Gloves
Read on to learn more about each glove so you can find the best pair for you.
Also, for excellent sailing gloves, take a look at our top pick, the WindRider Full or ¾ Finger PRO Padded Palm Sailing Gloves:
1. WindRider Full or 3/4 Finger Pro Padded Palm Sailing Gloves
Feel great and look great with the pinpoint red stitching design of the WindRider Full Padded Palm Sailing Gloves. Hands keep their cool in warm weather with the mesh design on the glove’s back.
They dry quickly when it’s time to wash them or when they get wet in the water.
The leather palm provides great protection. Comfort is what you get from the extra padding. The uncovered finger design provides dexterity in doing your various chores.
- Extra padding for maximum comfort
- Great multifunction glove
- Snug fit
2. MRX Fitness & Boxing 3/4 Grip and Finger Sailing Gloves
The three quarter length fingers for dexterity and protection make the MRX Fitness & Boxing Sailing Gloves a really high-quality glove for sailing.
Tying knots, typing on your cell phone, and other water activities that require fine motor dexterity are provided by the fingerless design. The wrist is protected from additional strain, and the gloves are kept in place with the secure wrist strap feature.
- Made of high-grade materials
- Durable and sturdy
- Reinforced palm feature to protect against rope burn
- Snug fit
3. NeoSport Neoprene 3/4 Finger Sailing Gloves
Versatile, comfortable, and lightweight are the top benefits provided by the NeoSport Neoprene 3/4 Finger Sailing Gloves.
These gloves are perfect for all water sports types, from sailing to kayaking, canoeing, or paddleboarding. They are made for above and also under the water.
Breathability is a feature provided by the vented palms. All manner of water activities will keep the gloves in your hand with the wrist fastener feature.
- Lightweight and comfortable
- Breathable and offers optimum hand protection
- 3/4 style offers greater flexibility
- Snug fit
4. MRX Fitness & Sticky Palm Sailing Gloves
The sticky palm feature provides a cutting edge design to the MRX Fitness & Sailing Gloves. The extra grip by way of the spandex grip-pattern offers optimum protection for the hands.
Amara, a premium quality material that is almost indestructible, contributes to the flexible fit as well. Extra wrist support is provided by the tight and strong fit of the hook and loop closure with a long strap.
- Stronger and safer grip with the Sticky palm feature
- Sturdy and flexible fit provided by Amara, a premium quality material
- Extra wrist support with the long-strapped hook and loop closure
- Snug fit
5. Brace Master 3/4 Finger Design Leather in Palm Sailing Gloves
The reinforced soft leather featured in the palm of the Brace Master 3/4 Finger Design Leather in Palm Sailing Gloves provides exceptional rope grip while protecting your hands from burn and bruises.
The superior quality of the Velcro ensures the right fit to the wrist. The breathable material of the glove’s back keeps hands cool even in the hottest weather.
- Exceptional grip while protecting hands from rope burn and bruises
- High-quality Velcro to ensure the right fit to wrists
- Breathable material
- Snug fit
6. Dakine Half Finger Sailing Gloves
Removing your gloves when they are wet can be next to impossible. Not with the unique finger pull tabs feature of the Dakine Half Finger Men’s Sailing Gloves.
The non-slip palm feature can be a literal lifesaver when you need to grip wet and slippery surfaces on and around the boat. Designed as breathable, the gloves seem to fit all the needs of a budding or seasoned sailor.
- Half-finger design for added dexterity
- Unique finger pull tabs that will allow you to remove the gloves even when they are wet easily
- Breathable design
- Snug fit
7. Gil S/F Pro Black Glove
Fingers get a natural articulation with the flex zones in constructing the notched finger in the Gil S/F Pro Black Glove.
The natural shape of your hand fits snugly in the pre-shaped construction of the glove. Incredibly durable, the glove provides extra grip as well with the Dura-grip fabric construction on the palm.
- Dura-grip construction to provide strong grip any time and all the time
- Pre-shaped construction that perfectly shapes your hand
- Snug fit
8. Gill Short Finger Championship Sailing Gloves
More comfort is gained with the offset finger seams in the Gill Men’s Short Finger Championship Sailing Gloves.
Reduced wear and tear are provided by removing the pressure points with the offset finger seam design. Extra grip and resistance are provided by the improved abrasion construction of the glove.
- Offset finger seam design for less wear and tear
- Improved abrasion feature for better grip and resistance
- Snug fit
9. Zhik Grey/Black Sailing Gloves
“Elegant but functional” perfectly describe the Zhik Grey/Black Sailing Gloves. Sailing, boating, kayaking, or any water sports or activities becomes enjoyable and safe with the fingers and palm construction’s extra grip design. Incredibly lightweight, you will not feel the gloves at all!
- Super lightweight
- Comfortable fit
- Extra grip feature to the palm and fingers
- Snug fit
10. Navis Short Finger Sailing Gloves
Durability and flexibility are not compromised with the pre-shaped construction of the Navis Short Finger Sailing Gloves’ three-finger style.
The snug fit provided by the glove also means enjoying optimum dexterity in all sorts of water activities. Improved Grip and abrasion resistance are provided by the unique wraparound finger reinforcement construction.
- Three-finger style for greater flexibility and durability
- Snug fit
- Unique wraparound finger reinforcement construction
Conclusion – Well-fitting Sailing Gloves
To revisit our initial query: “How should sailing gloves fit?”
Sailing gloves should fit comfortably, without cutting off circulation in your hands. You’ll know the gloves are too big if there’s too much space above each of your fingertips. A little extra space is fine, but not too extra space.
My personal favorite pair is the Navis Short Finger Sailing Gloves, but many others may better fit your hands.
Your choice of gloves can make or break your sailing performance. It is an important part of the sailing kit capable of protecting your most important asset: your hands.
A good pair of gloves is your best handy-dandy gear to protect your hands from bumps, sunburn, general knocks, cold, and, worse of all, rope burns.